I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in
the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures
Alexander ANDRASON; "Making It Sound—The Performative
Qatal and Its Explanation."
Abstract: The performative sense of the qatal is compatible
with the remaining components of the semantic load offered
by the gram. Employing a chaining procedure built on the
framework of universal paths and adopting a cognitive
perspective whereby the verbal meaning is a network of
conceptually and diachronically related senses, the author
demonstrates that since the qatal is defined as a
manifestation of an anterior cline and since it is possible
to posit a performative stage on this trajectory, the
anterior cline may also accommodate the performative sense.
To access the article directly please go to
Also, I am glad to announce the publication of several new
reviews in JHS:
1. Black, Fiona, The Artifice of Love: Grotesque Bodies and
the Song of Songs (LHBOTS, 392; New York/London: T&T Clark,
2009). (Reviewed by Julia M. O'Brien).
2. Dearman, J. Andrew, The Book of Hosea (NICOT; Grand
Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2010). (Reviewed by Anna E. Sieges).
3. Eskenazi, Tamara Cohn and Tikva Frymer-Kensky, Ruth (JPS
Bible Commentary; Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication
Society, 2011). (Reviewed by Timothy J. Stone).
4. Fox, Michael V., Proverbs 10–31: A New Translation with
Introduction and Commentary (AB, 18B; New Haven, CT: Yale
University Press, 2009). (Reviewed by Christine Roy Yoder).
5. Frevel, Christian, ed., Mixed Marriages: Intermarriage
and Group Identity in the Second Temple Period (LHBOTS, 547;
New York: T&T Clark International, 2011). (Reviewed by
Steven J. Schweitzer).
6. Kartveit, Magnar, The Origin of the Samaritans (VTSup,
128; Leiden: Brill, 2009). (Reviewed by Reinhard Pummer).
7. Kratz, Reinhard G., Prophetenstudien: Kleine Schriften II
(FAT, 74; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2011). (Reviewed by
8. Linafelt, Tod, Claudia V. Camp, and Timothy Beal, eds.,
The Fate of King David: The Past and Present of a Biblical
Icon (LHBOTS, 500; New York/London: T&T Clark, 2010).
(Reviewed by David B. Schreiner).
9. Niesiolowski-Spanò, Lukasz, Origin Myths and Holy
Places in the Old Testament: A Study of Aetiological
Narratives (Translated by Jacek Laskowski; Copenhagen
International Seminar; London & Oakville: Equinox, 2011).
(Reviewed by Eric Ortlund).
10. Oeste, Gordon, K., Legitimacy, Illegitimacy, and the
Right to Rule: Windows on Abimelech's Rise and Demise in
Judges 9 (LHBOTS, 546; New York: T&T Clark, 2011). (Reviewed
by Lissa M. Wray Beal).
11. Seitz, Christopher R., The Goodly Fellowship of the
Prophets: The Achievement of Association in Canon Formation
(Acadia Studies in Bible and Theology; Grand Rapids: Baker
Academic, 2009). (Reviewed by Mark E. Biddle).
12. Stromberg, Jacob, Isaiah After Exile: The Author of
Third Isaiah as Reader and Redactor of the Book (OTM;
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011). (Reviewed by
13. Trevaskis, Leigh M., Holiness, Ethics and Ritual in
Leviticus (HBM, 29; Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix, 2011).
(Reviewed by Roy E. Gane).
To access the reviews directly please go to