I am glad to announce the publication of a new article in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org/index.html).
Hannah K. HARRINGTON, "The Use of Leviticus in Ezra-Nehemiah"
Abstract: In light of the current disparity of views regarding the dating of Leviticus and Ezra-Nehemiah, this study revisits similar traditions found in these books in order to gain a sense of logical progression. The author calls attention to elements from Leviticus which are present in Ezra-Nehemiah but not found elsewhere in the Torah. She argues for the chronological priority of significant cultic traditions from Leviticus over their counterparts in Ezra-Nehemiah.
To access the article directly please go to
Also, I am glad to announce the publication of several new reviews in JHS:
1. Achenbach, Reinhard, Rainer Albertz, and Jakob Wöhrle, eds., The Foreigner and the Law: Perspectives from the Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East (BZABR, 16; Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 2011). (Reviewed by Mark A. Christian).
2. Barbour, Jennie, The Story of Israel in the Book of Qohelet: Ecclesiastes as Cultural Memory (Oxford Theology and Religion Monographs; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012). (Reviewed by Martin A. Shields).
3. Benjamin, Don C., Stones and Stories: An Introduction to Archaeology and the Bible (Overtures to Biblical Theology; Minneapolis: Fortress, 2009). (Reviewed by Christopher B. Ansberry).
4. Bodner, Keith, Jeroboam's Royal Drama (Biblical Refigurations; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012). (Reviewed by Lissa M. Wray Beal).
5. De Sousa, Rodrigo F., Eschatology and Messianism in LXX Isaiah 1–12 (LHBOTS, 516; HBIV, 4; New York: T & T Clark, 2010). (Reviewed by Anthony R. Pyles).
6. Gillmayr-Bucher, Susanne, Erzählte Welten im Richterbuch(Biblical Interpretation Series, 116; Leiden: Brill, 2012). (Reviewed by Philippe Guillaume).
7. Grossman, Maxine L., ed., Rediscovering the Dead Sea Scrolls: An Assessment of Old and New Approaches and Methods (Grand Rapids, MI/Cambridge: Eerdmans, 2010). (Reviewed by Russell D. Taylor Jr.).
8. Hall, Sarah Lebhar, Conquering Character: The Characterization of Joshua in Joshua 1–11 (LHBOTS, 512; New York/London: T & T Clark, 2010). (Reviewed by Gordon Oeste).
9. Rechberger, Uwe, Von der Klage zum Lob: Studien zum "Stimmungsumschwung" in den Psalmen (WMANT, 133; Neukirchen-Vluyn: Neukirchener, 2012). (Reviewed by Jakob Wöhrle).
10. Reeder, Caryn A.,The Enemy in the Household: Family Violence in Deuteronomy and Beyond (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012). (Reviewed by Robert R. Beck).
11. Roskop, Angela R., The Wilderness Itineraries: Genre, Geography, and the Growth of Torah (HACL, 3; Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2011). (Reviewed by Graham Davies).
Von Heijne, Camilla Hélena, The Messenger of the Lord in Early Jewish Interpretations of Genesis (BZAW, 412; Berlin: de Gruyter, 2010). (Reviewed by Michael Hundley).
To access the reviews directly please go to
JHS is now offering hypertext/ hyperlinked versions of all articles and reviews published from 1996 to 2009 (inclusive of 2009). We are currently working to include versions of the 2010/2011 articles and reviews.